Posted on January 16, 2018 by Russ Sinkewich - Announcements, Pro Tip
Now that we’re deep into the grind of our season’s demands; feeling beaten up, tired, sore, and physically-emotionally drained are all part of the process of your development. Now more than ever you need to make your recovery a priority! Here’s a few pieces of advice that will pay off huge for your athlete!
- Nutrition, Nutrition, Nutrition!!!
- You’ve got to fuel your efforts with a well-balance diet! A majority of our on and off-ice goals will come from our discipline in the kitchen and at the table!
- It’s amazing what a 7-8hr night of sound sleep can do for your body. Make your bedtime a priority!
- Let’s be honest we all neglect this! No question the pre-workout/skate dynamic warmup is essential. But who’s stretching beyond this…? Take 5 minutes out of your night to roll through a quick lower body sequence before you go to bed! It’s a game changer!
- Mental Approach!
- Yes, the power of the mind! When you leave the rink, leave the mental baggage there too! Allow your mind to change the channel to your other happy places of friends, family, and passions.
Keep pushing through the final month and a half of the season!!!
Posted on December 29, 2017 by Russ Sinkewich - Announcements, Pro Tip
There’s no better time than NOW to reset, reevaluate, and develop your plan of attack for 2018. We hope everyone has had a great, refreshing holiday break. Reflecting on the first half of the season, its important to celebrate the positive accomplishments, as well as embrace the constructive criticisms and hard lessons learned thus far.
Most importantly what’s your plan to make 2018 your year? It’s about the action, not the reaction! Set a series of attainable goals that fuel each other to help you be the perfect version of yourself this year!
We’re excited to watch you all dominate in 2018!
Posted on December 14, 2017 by Russ Sinkewich - Announcements, Pro Tip
With the Holidays right around the corner we imagine new hockey sticks are being manufactured non-stop at Santa’s workshop… Here’s three easy guidelines when helping fulfill the “new hockey stick” request from your athlete’s wish list:
- Flex is key!
- Arguably the most important factor when selecting a stick. Be sure your athlete is able to flex their stick with minimal effort. Weight and strength are big components on what flex your athlete will need. Stick flex is what helps deliver velocity and release ability on our shots.
- Blade Pattern matters.
- Don’t just grab any stick off the rack. The curve of the blade is very important, this is what determines how the puck releases on your shots. Check out this super helpful GUIDE.
- Look past the graphics!
- Naturally the inner marketing victim in all of us will gravitate to certain brands, colors, graphic, etc. However, do your best to look beyond the marketing. Seek to find the right combination of flex and blade pattern before you look brand specific.
Have an amazing Holiday Season everyone! We hope to see you over the break!
Posted on November 30, 2017 by Russ Sinkewich - Announcements, Pro Tip
FACT: Positive thoughts & mindset will produce positive actions and results!
When you’re in a position to complain about anything, you’re also in a position to do something positive about it. And that’s a whole lot more effective than complaining. If you have a good reason to be frustrated, you also have a good reason to point the energy of that frustration in a positive direction. By doing so, you’d be amazed by change you’re able to create!
Whenever something is frustrating you, (ice time, coaching criticism, teammate issues, your performance, etc.) you’re highly motivated to find a way to move beyond it. Harness the energy of that frustration to improve the situation or to grow yourself beyond it. Any time you experience disappointment, you’ve learned a valuable lesson. From there you can go forward, and make that disappointment into a positive turning point. Every day, life comes your way, and it’s impossible to predict or control what’s’ to come. Yet no matter what you get, you always have the choice of what to do with it.
No matter what, never lose the positivity!!!
Posted on November 16, 2017 by Russ Sinkewich - Announcements
Friendly reminder this years Holiday OHP Cares Event is right around the corner! In partnership with the amazing Ohio Guidestone, as well as host Pro Sports Performance, we’ll be assisting in sponsoring nearly 50 families this Holiday season. We hope to make the Holidays a whole lot brighter for some local families in need!
ANY OHP Athletes, Families, & Friends
Toy collection & Family Holiday Sponsoring
Gift Collection – Wed. Nov 22 & Fri. Nov. 24 // 8:00am-2:00pm
@Barons Arena. 5310 Hauserman Rd, 44130
(Bins will be out during Drop-in Thanksgiving Skills Sessions)
Gift Wrapping Party – Sunday, Dec. 3 // 5:00-8:00pm
@Pro Sports Performance. 11985 Prospect Rd
Strongsville, OH. 44149
We can all make our community and world that much greater with a little extra love and thoughtfulness this holiday season!
Want to get involved? Here’s how:
Contact: Margaret via email: firstname.lastname@example.org or directly at 216-392-4060.
We can’t to make an amazing impact this Holiday Season with everyone!!!
Posted on November 15, 2017 by Russ Sinkewich - Announcements, Pro Tip
As we make the stretch into the holiday season now is a GREAT time to save big on buying equipment. Another being in the spring as the season comes to a close. Here are a few pointers to be mindful of as you maximize your savings:
- Look beyond the marketing
- Spoiler alert: the “new & improved”, “2.0”, “next level”, “super-charged” models are nothing more than that company’s marketing efforts to push the latest model. Last year’s model will work just fine. Believe me!
- Do you homework
- Explore options. Compare and contrast pricing. Inquire if your local retailer offers a price match option.
- Shop for the future
- If your athlete loves a certain piece of equipment, why not a buy a size big, or an extra stick and throw it in the closet for a rainy day…
As you’re hunting down the next great buy, be sure to check out what our Partners at Perani’s Hockey World and Dick’s Sporting Goods have to offer.
Happy savings this holiday season!
Posted on November 1, 2017 by Russ Sinkewich - Announcements, Pro Tip
In the midst of all of these amazing (and potentially unhealthy) holidays, now is a great time to realign our perspective and evaluate the purpose of our dryland workouts.
Off-ice workouts, also known as “dryland workouts” are a very unrated and often, under-appreciated activity. Its has been great to see so many different teams and programs allocate time for dryland training. However, its critical to understand some of the awesome benefits that establishing a sound dryland routine brings:
- Shifts our mental focus to “preparation mode.”
- Prepares our bodies for performance
- Minimizes injury
- Develops key motor skills and physical movement that builds the foundation for muscular growth and skilled athletic development.
- Phenomenal precursor to future strength training, not only for sports performance purposes, but for a well-rounded healthy lifestyle.
Posted on October 16, 2017 by Russ Sinkewich - Announcements, Pro Tip
With one the biggest unhealthy binge-eating holidays in Halloween right around the corner, what better time than now to share some insightful points on a well-balanced diet. It should be no secret a healthy, well-balanced diet is the foundation for not only a healthy lifestyle but equally for optimum sports performance. Here’s a great article from our friends at BodyBuilding.com that clearly outlines optimal Pre – During – Post nutrition options.
Pre-During-Post Nutrition Suggestions
Have a safe and fun Halloween! We’re looking forward to seeing everyone at upcoming skills sessions in the weeks to come!
Posted on October 3, 2017 by Russ Sinkewich - Announcements, Pro Tip
A pre-game routine is a critical form of preparation for practices, workouts, games, and a successful season! Pre-game routines (dynamic warmus) get your body and your mind right for as consistent and successful of a performance as possible. Your athlete’s pre-game routine should be focused around a few simple guiding points:
- Pre Performance Nutrition
- We need to feed the machine! A well-balanced diet, especially the 2-3 hours before practice, workout, and play a game is essential to an optimum physical output!
- Pre Dynamic Warm-up
- A simple 5-10 min active movement comprised of off-ice warm-up exercises warms up our bodies and minimizes the risk of injuries.
- Mental Visualization
- From walking through in-game scenarios, to simple positive self-talk and reflection of what our game goals and objectives are, is absolutely critical as we prepare our mind to be firing on all cylinders going into our performance!
As your athlete progresses and advances up the hockey pyramid so should their pre-game routine and approach to preparing for success!
“By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail.”
Posted on September 14, 2017 by Russ Sinkewich - Announcements, Pro Tip
There are a lot of roads to ultimately find success in what we do. However, after a career of ups and downs, successes and failures I feel confident that the recipe for success hinges on a few of these main factors:
- Our attitude determines our altitude in life! The power of a positive mindset can accomplish unbelievable things!
- Work Ethic
- Our work ethic is the most under-rated skill out there. Take pride in never being outworked!
- Love what you do. Let it become an obsession!
What better time than now to cook up an amazing pre-season, and put this recipe to the test!