October 29, 2019 4:54 pm
When one of the most exciting parts of the game presents itself – “the breakaway”, don’t waste this one on one opportunity to light the lamp! Whether you’re watching a game on TV, or a youth practice or game, here’s some next level secrets that will make all the difference!
- Your attack speed is a vital element on your side. Understanding when you should be skating at full speed to push a goalie back in their crease, or when to slow down (time permitting) to allow you to out wait the goalie. The speed and timing of your approach is crucial!
- This features your stick handling ability, as well as your lateral (side to side) movement with your head and shoulders. The sneakier the better! Remember, when stick handling, its the top hand that drives each cradle of the puck!
- If possible, take an angle in your approach to the net. This will challenge the goalies positioning in net. The more you’re able to get a goalie moving side to side, the more holes will open.
Have a safe and fun Halloween!
October 14, 2019 1:21 pm
As a player, you work your tail off to put yourself in a position to get a shot on net. Be sure to make each and every shot count! Here’s a few pro tips that should be racing through your head just before you take that picturesque shot:
- Use Key Fundamentals
- Flex. Let the flex of your stick do the work. This is what adds speed and power. Your top hand “pulls” at the same time your bottom hand “pushes”.
- Blade Positioning. Your blade needs to ALWAYS stay closed (and cupped) over the puck. The second the face of the blade opens; a bad shot will follow.
- Follow Through. Turn your wrists over at the end of your shot allowing an accurate, powerful follow through.
- Total Body. Its not just your arms. Engage your legs and core muscles to add power to your shot!
- Heads up – Placement Matters!
- The hardest shot in the game still won’t go through a goalie! Take that split second and pick up your head to lock in your sights on where you’re shooting! When in doubt, keep the puck low to allow a rebound for a teammate driving the net!!!
- Release Speed
- You shouldn’t be counting out “Mississippi’s” during your shot release. Get the puck to your loaded position at the back of your stance ASAP, then trust your fundamentals to drive that shot from the loaded position to the final point of the release as quickly as humanly possible!
We can’t wait to watch the goals pour in this season!
October 1, 2019 3:43 pm
As physical as the game of hockey is, so much more is mental than you’ll ever believe! Resilient, mentally tough athletes (and people) always find a way to succeed! I believe there are 3 different scenarios that will test your mental toughness as a hockey player:
- Managing uncontrollabes.
- Your favorite stick broke, the ice sucks, the ref made a bad call, the coach changed the lines… Acknowledge them, see them as challenges and realign your efforts.
- Self-inflicted mistakes – Have a short memory!
- Being properly prepared to perform will eliminate a lot of mistakes right out of the gate. With the self-inflicted mistakes of poor play, develop an in-game routine of controlled breathing and visualization to calm down while re-focusing to get your mind back in the game.
- Safely playing through pain + discomfort.
- This is not regarding serious injuries. More so, when you feel that burn in your legs, or your trying to catch your breath, or knowing that blister is killing you – Dig deep and find a way to persevere!
Be the best warrior version of yourself you can be this season!