How to be a great hockey parentOctober 15, 2021 2:27 pm
The start of a new season provides athletes and their families a great opportunity to make it a year to remember! Here’s a few tips for parents to make sure they stay their athlete’s #1 Fan!
- Emphasize Learning
- Do all that you can to learn with them; reading books about hockey, watching educational videos on YouTube, watching NHL games with your athlete. If you put the effort in, your athlete will too! Remember and embrace the educational process of the sport!
- Patience + Perspective
- Be there with them, and be patient with them! Highs and lows are a necessary prerequisite for success – in anything! It’s how we grow. Remember the bigger picture. Team sports is an accelerator of a child’s life skills that help shape who they become tomorrow! Hockey is game, and we as parents can go above and beyond to make it fun and a positive life changing experience.
- Be active – Be present
- Research has proven time and time again that parents who are actively involved with their young athlete’s team and career will lead to a better relationship with their child, improved performance for their child, and overall personal fulfillment. Help score keep, organize a team dinner/party, bring some extra team spirit for the families to rally behind the team at games.
- Be a parent and not a coach
- Remember your child gets an earful every time they walk into a rink. They don’t always need an earful in the car or at the dinner table too. Sure, give them the extra kick in the butt when they need it, but more times than not, they need a break and they need your love, positivity and wonderful parental support!
Take these tips into this season and it will be the best hockey season yet!
Tags: #1 fan, achievement, athlete, coachability, pro tips
Categorised in: Announcements, Pro Tip
This post was written by Russ Sinkewich