October 18, 2018 2:58 pm
Fall is in the air – leaves are changing, the days are cooler, the mornings are darker. All of which means one thing… Hockey season is HERE! As we embark on the 2018-19 season here’s some great tips on being your athlete’s #1 Fan!
- Positive Support
- Your athlete NEEDS constructive, positive support and suggestions. NOT, negative criticisms. Remember they already have a coach in the rink. They don’t always need another one in the car or at home…
- Find the Home & Hockey Balance
- It can be positive to talk hockey to and from the rink in moderation. However, be sure to find the balance! There is such a thing as hockey overdose! Setting up non-hockey extracurricular activities and experiences is always a good thing!
- Manage the Tough Love
- Demand that your athlete works hard, competes, is coachable, etc. However, once you’ve checked those boxes, be sure to check the next boxes of; Is my athlete making mistakes? Is he/she learning from those mistakes? Are we enjoying what we’re doing?
Here’s to an exciting, rewarding 2018-19 season!!!
October 1, 2018 3:10 pm
The “ZONE” also known as finding your rhythm or playing your “A” game. When you’re able to channel this mental edge and mindset you’re capable of taking your game to great heights! Here’s a few simple tips that will get you to the zone and help you to consistently elevate you game play!
- Pre-Game Mental Session
- Focus your concentration on what YOU need to do to be great! What are your strengths? How are you going to contribute to the team? What do you love about the game? Take 5-10minutes to get your mind prepared for a great game!
- Positive Self-Talk
- Throughout your pre-game routine, as well as throughout your games and practices remind yourself either through mental thoughts or actual verbal cues of positive self-talk. Hold on to the positive and forget about the negative and mistakes. You’re a great player – Remind yourself!
- Live in the present
- Don’t worry about past mistakes, or future challenges. Live in the moment and enjoy the ride as you’re living it!
Best of luck as you work to consistently find your “A” game and get in the zone this season!
September 13, 2018 3:13 pm
Condense the clutter! Hockey bags can quickly turn into storage lockers on wheels. However, there’s a few items that should be a must pack for any hockey bag outside of the usual equipment, jersey, and socks!
- Small Accessory Tote
This should hold tape, helmet screws and parts, stick handling ball, multi-function tool or scissors. Maybe even a few quarters for bubble hockey.
- Healthy Snacks
A must! You’ve got to feed the machine. Keeping a reserve of a few preferred snacks is always a smart play!
- Athletic Shoes
Nothing fancy, but having an old pair athletic shoes for the pre-game warmup is a very smart preparation plan.
September 5, 2018 3:44 pm
A new season! A fresh start, a clean slate! You only get one first impression – Make the most of it! Start the year off the right way:
- Set Goals!
- Some short term, easily attainable, others, big picture and months away from achieving.
- Set the Tone!
- What better time than TODAY! You control your individual focus level, effort level, coachability, and attitude. It’s all about the action!
- Develop the routine and game plan
- Success will always follow detailed preparation. Set your athlete up to be as successful as possible this season!
Let your off-season training take over this fall! We’re so excited to watch everyone’s growth and goal crushing efforts this season!
June 1, 2018 1:55 pm
Your approach to the off-season is everything for your athlete’s development. Long-term strides of improvement and achieving your goals are ultimately made during the off-season! Here are a few key points of emphasis to work through as you move into your off-season:
- Develop your game plan
- Devise a plan of attack in exactly how you’re going to help your athlete make the necessary gains during the off time. Raw skill development & improvement, off-ice performance training, NUTRITION habits, balancing other commitments. Many of these topics should be discussed, and a plan needs to be established.
- Set your goals
- What specifically are you going to improve? How are you going to accomplish it? Small more easily attainable goals lead to larger more lofty accomplishments!
- Commit to the “process”
- Once you’ve built your game plan and set your goals, commit to whatever it takes to achieving your goals! If it was easy, everyone would be playing in the NHL. Stay Determined. Stay Hungry. Stay Humble. Never lose sight of the fun!
We can’t wait to support you in a rewarding off-season of work and accomplishments!!!
May 14, 2018 3:22 pm
Overlooking the present is something we’re all guilty of from time to time. Of course, we need to be cognizant of future opportunities. Take our word for it; years from now when you reflect on the journey, game records, tryout pressures, and so many other minor stressors won’t even be remembered. You’ll be left with the memories from the amazing experiences, life lessons, and relationships the great game of hockey affords us all! Focus on maximizing those TODAY!
The more present we are today, the more attainable the goals of tomorrow will become! Seize the day, enjoy the moment!
April 30, 2018 3:38 pm
If you’re working for greatness (which we know you are), challenges are inevitable. Embrace the hard lessons and grow from them, rather than letting them discourage you!
- Failures & Setbacks A.K.A. “Adversity”
- Every failed goal is a lesson learned! Understand what you did wrong and grow stronger from each mistake. When living in the moment adversity can be brutal. However, adversity builds character, and having strong character is one incredible trait!
- Sacrifice can come in countless forms. However, bottom line, you’ve got to put in the work, make the commitment, and be tunnel focused on your goals!
- You’ve got to love what you do! Having an obsession to work, grow, and improve is a key trait of success!
We’re excited to watch everyone work towards greatness this off-season!
April 15, 2018 8:43 pm
So often we overlook the true value and impact of confidence. Unlike other tangible skills; you can’t see it, touch it, measure it… However, as an athlete you sure can feel and experience it! It’s unbelievable what confidence can do for your game! Confidence ultimately comes from within, although there’s are a few guidelines that can help boost that confidence and take your game to the next level!
- Put in the work!!!
- If you’ve put in the work, then know you’re prepared! Now just trust your training!
- “One shift at a time” mentality
- Nothing is ever done overnight. Your growth and improvements are all a part of your process. Take one shift at a time, one period, one game, one weekend. Never too high, never too low.
- Be resilient
- Criticism can be positive if you choose to accept it from that mindset. Never the less, you’ve got to be tough! Filter the negative and stay YOUR course!
Be confident and enjoy the process along the way!
April 2, 2018 3:11 pm
A wise hockey mind once told me: “There’s no such thing as over training, just under recovery.” Even the most passionate, committed individuals need a break from time to time.
No time is better than the present! Get away from the game, even if only for a week. Make the most out of the physical and mental rest.
We’re looking forward to getting back after it when you are! Have an awesome Spring Break!
March 14, 2018 5:36 pm
Consistency is KEY! Any player can go out and have a great game from time to time. However, a really special player can do it weekend after weekend throughout a season. Consistent performance will ultimately develop from a few critical foundational points.
- Practice habits, off-ice training, nutrition, focus level in the locker room, rest away from the rink, being a student of the game, and oh yea-Practice Habits!!!
- Set your mind to be successful. Change the channel on the negative, and harness the power of the positive thoughts! I’m a huge fan of positive self-talk: “You’re going to be great today, be the best version of yourself!”
- Trust your training! Confidence comes from within. Lock in the mindset and lean on your preparation and the confidence will surely follow!