March 14, 2018 5:36 pm
Consistency is KEY! Any player can go out and have a great game from time to time. However, a really special player can do it weekend after weekend throughout a season. Consistent performance will ultimately develop from a few critical foundational points.
- Practice habits, off-ice training, nutrition, focus level in the locker room, rest away from the rink, being a student of the game, and oh yea-Practice Habits!!!
- Set your mind to be successful. Change the channel on the negative, and harness the power of the positive thoughts! I’m a huge fan of positive self-talk: “You’re going to be great today, be the best version of yourself!”
- Trust your training! Confidence comes from within. Lock in the mindset and lean on your preparation and the confidence will surely follow!
February 28, 2018 3:08 pm
The recurring topic of: recruiting, evaluations, and “Scouting” comes up all so often. Understandably, for good reason, as every player aspires to advance to the highest levels they’re capable of. Here’s some helpful insight to gain an understanding as your athlete works toward their dreams:
Mite – Bantam Level Players
Spoiler alert: There’s no scouts in the stands handing out scholarships. Perhaps the odd HS coach taking a look; but that’s about it. From an evaluation stand-point the following characteristics are prioritized:
- Raw Ability
- This will always jump off the page at any level. However, a player’s skill is only one part of the equation.
- Effort Level
- Better believe evaluators are looking for the details in a player’s work ethic. Stopping on pucks, competing in ALL battles, etc.
- Does a player apply what they’re being taught? Are they carrying themselves with a positive attitude and “team-first” mentality?
Midget – Jr Level Players
If you’re sincere about truly taking your game to the highest level of Jr, NCAA, or beyond this is where the real work begins.
- Raw Ability
- No question you have to have the skill set to produce at the “next level”.
- It’s not necessarily about the player you are today, as it is the player that you can become tomorrow.
- Needs of that team
- STATS ARE NOT ALWAYS THE ANSWER. Sure, they can help, but believe me, scouts are looking at the role you will fill on their team, not just your points!
February 1, 2018 12:26 pm
Let us save you a lot of stress and time; no such person exists. The real question is “who’s the perfect coach for me?” This of course depends on the scenario, as each and every one of us demand a different, and unique set of needs. However, in your search, if you can feel confident with any (or all) of the following criteria, we know you’re moving towards a great match!
- Will this coach believe in my athlete?
- This belief in your athlete is of course earned. However, finding a coach that truly invests in your child is an amazing trait to seek out. Aside from their confidence in your child’s ability, finding a coach that allows his/her players the freedom to fail is hugely important for their individual growth and long-term development.
- Does this coach have a good sense on skill development?
- Simply put, does he/she understand how to improve your child’s skills and abilities?
- What is their mission for the season?
- Winning is almost irrelevant. Sure, the success is great, but what is really being taught to your child… Attitude, work ethic, accountability, team play, should be at the top of the list!
For our elder players looking to make the jump beyond Midget/Varsity/Prep, another important factor should be:
- Is my coach well connected?
- Of course, their connections are meaningless if your performance and intangibles don’t warrant your advancement. However, having a well-connected coach, or at least one that you trust is willing to go the extra mile to advance your career is a great trait to find!
January 16, 2018 3:09 pm
Now that we’re deep into the grind of our season’s demands; feeling beaten up, tired, sore, and physically-emotionally drained are all part of the process of your development. Now more than ever you need to make your recovery a priority! Here’s a few pieces of advice that will pay off huge for your athlete!
- Nutrition, Nutrition, Nutrition!!!
- You’ve got to fuel your efforts with a well-balance diet! A majority of our on and off-ice goals will come from our discipline in the kitchen and at the table!
- It’s amazing what a 7-8hr night of sound sleep can do for your body. Make your bedtime a priority!
- Let’s be honest we all neglect this! No question the pre-workout/skate dynamic warmup is essential. But who’s stretching beyond this…? Take 5 minutes out of your night to roll through a quick lower body sequence before you go to bed! It’s a game changer!
- Mental Approach!
- Yes, the power of the mind! When you leave the rink, leave the mental baggage there too! Allow your mind to change the channel to your other happy places of friends, family, and passions.
Keep pushing through the final month and a half of the season!!!
December 29, 2017 3:42 pm
There’s no better time than NOW to reset, reevaluate, and develop your plan of attack for 2018. We hope everyone has had a great, refreshing holiday break. Reflecting on the first half of the season, its important to celebrate the positive accomplishments, as well as embrace the constructive criticisms and hard lessons learned thus far.
Most importantly what’s your plan to make 2018 your year? It’s about the action, not the reaction! Set a series of attainable goals that fuel each other to help you be the perfect version of yourself this year!
We’re excited to watch you all dominate in 2018!
December 14, 2017 3:22 pm
With the Holidays right around the corner we imagine new hockey sticks are being manufactured non-stop at Santa’s workshop… Here’s three easy guidelines when helping fulfill the “new hockey stick” request from your athlete’s wish list:
- Flex is key!
- Arguably the most important factor when selecting a stick. Be sure your athlete is able to flex their stick with minimal effort. Weight and strength are big components on what flex your athlete will need. Stick flex is what helps deliver velocity and release ability on our shots.
- Blade Pattern matters.
- Don’t just grab any stick off the rack. The curve of the blade is very important, this is what determines how the puck releases on your shots. Check out this super helpful GUIDE.
- Look past the graphics!
- Naturally the inner marketing victim in all of us will gravitate to certain brands, colors, graphic, etc. However, do your best to look beyond the marketing. Seek to find the right combination of flex and blade pattern before you look brand specific.
Have an amazing Holiday Season everyone! We hope to see you over the break!
November 30, 2017 1:44 pm
FACT: Positive thoughts & mindset will produce positive actions and results!
When you’re in a position to complain about anything, you’re also in a position to do something positive about it. And that’s a whole lot more effective than complaining. If you have a good reason to be frustrated, you also have a good reason to point the energy of that frustration in a positive direction. By doing so, you’d be amazed by change you’re able to create!
Whenever something is frustrating you, (ice time, coaching criticism, teammate issues, your performance, etc.) you’re highly motivated to find a way to move beyond it. Harness the energy of that frustration to improve the situation or to grow yourself beyond it. Any time you experience disappointment, you’ve learned a valuable lesson. From there you can go forward, and make that disappointment into a positive turning point. Every day, life comes your way, and it’s impossible to predict or control what’s’ to come. Yet no matter what you get, you always have the choice of what to do with it.
No matter what, never lose the positivity!!!
November 16, 2017 4:24 am
Friendly reminder this years Holiday OHP Cares Event is right around the corner! In partnership with the amazing Ohio Guidestone, as well as host Pro Sports Performance, we’ll be assisting in sponsoring nearly 50 families this Holiday season. We hope to make the Holidays a whole lot brighter for some local families in need!
ANY OHP Athletes, Families, & Friends
Toy collection & Family Holiday Sponsoring
Gift Collection – Wed. Nov 22 & Fri. Nov. 24 // 8:00am-2:00pm
@Barons Arena. 5310 Hauserman Rd, 44130
(Bins will be out during Drop-in Thanksgiving Skills Sessions)
Gift Wrapping Party – Sunday, Dec. 3 // 5:00-8:00pm
@Pro Sports Performance. 11985 Prospect Rd
Strongsville, OH. 44149
We can all make our community and world that much greater with a little extra love and thoughtfulness this holiday season!
Want to get involved? Here’s how:
Contact: Margaret via email: email@example.com or directly at 216-392-4060.
We can’t to make an amazing impact this Holiday Season with everyone!!!
November 15, 2017 1:59 pm
As we make the stretch into the holiday season now is a GREAT time to save big on buying equipment. Another being in the spring as the season comes to a close. Here are a few pointers to be mindful of as you maximize your savings:
- Look beyond the marketing
- Spoiler alert: the “new & improved”, “2.0”, “next level”, “super-charged” models are nothing more than that company’s marketing efforts to push the latest model. Last year’s model will work just fine. Believe me!
- Do you homework
- Explore options. Compare and contrast pricing. Inquire if your local retailer offers a price match option.
- Shop for the future
- If your athlete loves a certain piece of equipment, why not a buy a size big, or an extra stick and throw it in the closet for a rainy day…
As you’re hunting down the next great buy, be sure to check out what our Partners at Perani’s Hockey World and Dick’s Sporting Goods have to offer.
Happy savings this holiday season!
November 1, 2017 4:23 pm
In the midst of all of these amazing (and potentially unhealthy) holidays, now is a great time to realign our perspective and evaluate the purpose of our dryland workouts.
Off-ice workouts, also known as “dryland workouts” are a very unrated and often, under-appreciated activity. Its has been great to see so many different teams and programs allocate time for dryland training. However, its critical to understand some of the awesome benefits that establishing a sound dryland routine brings:
- Shifts our mental focus to “preparation mode.”
- Prepares our bodies for performance
- Minimizes injury
- Develops key motor skills and physical movement that builds the foundation for muscular growth and skilled athletic development.
- Phenomenal precursor to future strength training, not only for sports performance purposes, but for a well-rounded healthy lifestyle.