Tag Archive: hockey
December 14, 2017 3:22 pm
With the Holidays right around the corner we imagine new hockey sticks are being manufactured non-stop at Santa’s workshop… Here’s three easy guidelines when helping fulfill the “new hockey stick” request from your athlete’s wish list:
- Flex is key!
- Arguably the most important factor when selecting a stick. Be sure your athlete is able to flex their stick with minimal effort. Weight and strength are big components on what flex your athlete will need. Stick flex is what helps deliver velocity and release ability on our shots.
- Blade Pattern matters.
- Don’t just grab any stick off the rack. The curve of the blade is very important, this is what determines how the puck releases on your shots. Check out this super helpful GUIDE.
- Look past the graphics!
- Naturally the inner marketing victim in all of us will gravitate to certain brands, colors, graphic, etc. However, do your best to look beyond the marketing. Seek to find the right combination of flex and blade pattern before you look brand specific.
Have an amazing Holiday Season everyone! We hope to see you over the break!
November 30, 2017 1:44 pm
FACT: Positive thoughts & mindset will produce positive actions and results!
When you’re in a position to complain about anything, you’re also in a position to do something positive about it. And that’s a whole lot more effective than complaining. If you have a good reason to be frustrated, you also have a good reason to point the energy of that frustration in a positive direction. By doing so, you’d be amazed by change you’re able to create!
Whenever something is frustrating you, (ice time, coaching criticism, teammate issues, your performance, etc.) you’re highly motivated to find a way to move beyond it. Harness the energy of that frustration to improve the situation or to grow yourself beyond it. Any time you experience disappointment, you’ve learned a valuable lesson. From there you can go forward, and make that disappointment into a positive turning point. Every day, life comes your way, and it’s impossible to predict or control what’s’ to come. Yet no matter what you get, you always have the choice of what to do with it.
No matter what, never lose the positivity!!!
November 15, 2017 1:59 pm
As we make the stretch into the holiday season now is a GREAT time to save big on buying equipment. Another being in the spring as the season comes to a close. Here are a few pointers to be mindful of as you maximize your savings:
- Look beyond the marketing
- Spoiler alert: the “new & improved”, “2.0”, “next level”, “super-charged” models are nothing more than that company’s marketing efforts to push the latest model. Last year’s model will work just fine. Believe me!
- Do you homework
- Explore options. Compare and contrast pricing. Inquire if your local retailer offers a price match option.
- Shop for the future
- If your athlete loves a certain piece of equipment, why not a buy a size big, or an extra stick and throw it in the closet for a rainy day…
As you’re hunting down the next great buy, be sure to check out what our Partners at Perani’s Hockey World and Dick’s Sporting Goods have to offer.
Happy savings this holiday season!
November 1, 2017 4:23 pm
In the midst of all of these amazing (and potentially unhealthy) holidays, now is a great time to realign our perspective and evaluate the purpose of our dryland workouts.
Off-ice workouts, also known as “dryland workouts” are a very unrated and often, under-appreciated activity. Its has been great to see so many different teams and programs allocate time for dryland training. However, its critical to understand some of the awesome benefits that establishing a sound dryland routine brings:
- Shifts our mental focus to “preparation mode.”
- Prepares our bodies for performance
- Minimizes injury
- Develops key motor skills and physical movement that builds the foundation for muscular growth and skilled athletic development.
- Phenomenal precursor to future strength training, not only for sports performance purposes, but for a well-rounded healthy lifestyle.
October 16, 2017 2:38 pm
With one the biggest unhealthy binge-eating holidays in Halloween right around the corner, what better time than now to share some insightful points on a well-balanced diet. It should be no secret a healthy, well-balanced diet is the foundation for not only a healthy lifestyle but equally for optimum sports performance. Here’s a great article from our friends at BodyBuilding.com that clearly outlines optimal Pre – During – Post nutrition options.
Pre-During-Post Nutrition Suggestions
Have a safe and fun Halloween! We’re looking forward to seeing everyone at upcoming skills sessions in the weeks to come!
October 3, 2017 2:27 pm
A pre-game routine is a critical form of preparation for practices, workouts, games, and a successful season! Pre-game routines (dynamic warmus) get your body and your mind right for as consistent and successful of a performance as possible. Your athlete’s pre-game routine should be focused around a few simple guiding points:
- Pre Performance Nutrition
- We need to feed the machine! A well-balanced diet, especially the 2-3 hours before practice, workout, and play a game is essential to an optimum physical output!
- Pre Dynamic Warm-up
- A simple 5-10 min active movement comprised of off-ice warm-up exercises warms up our bodies and minimizes the risk of injuries.
- Mental Visualization
- From walking through in-game scenarios, to simple positive self-talk and reflection of what our game goals and objectives are, is absolutely critical as we prepare our mind to be firing on all cylinders going into our performance!
As your athlete progresses and advances up the hockey pyramid so should their pre-game routine and approach to preparing for success!
“By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail.”
September 14, 2017 12:29 pm
There are a lot of roads to ultimately find success in what we do. However, after a career of ups and downs, successes and failures I feel confident that the recipe for success hinges on a few of these main factors:
- Our attitude determines our altitude in life! The power of a positive mindset can accomplish unbelievable things!
- Work Ethic
- Our work ethic is the most under-rated skill out there. Take pride in never being outworked!
- Love what you do. Let it become an obsession!
What better time than now to cook up an amazing pre-season, and put this recipe to the test!
June 1, 2017 3:01 pm
As everyone prepares for an awesome off-season ahead we wanted to leave you with a few of the most impactful quotes we’ve learned first hand along our journey in the sport.
“Success will always come from the details and the willingness to do them.”
~Brent Thompson, New York Islanders Asst. Coach
“You’re either passing someone, or you’re getting passed. Everyday.”
~Jeff Blashill, Detroit Red Wings Head Coach
“Without a plan, a goal is just a wish!”
We’re looking forward to an AMAZING off-season this summer!
April 27, 2017 3:02 pm
Very much open to interpretation here, however, after nearly 30 years of being involved in the sport in every capacity; I’m a firm believer that reflection on these areas has brought some of the greatest joys!
Living in the moment
Ride the highs and never let the lows bring you down! Celebrate the positive, filter the negative, and grow from the mistakes. Treat every ice time like its game 7!
Embracing the process
The “process” is an ever-evolving journey of your development as an athlete setting out to accomplish goals, just as much as it is your personal growth as a young man/woman living to your highest possible standards of character and integrity. If you ever think you’ve arrived, you’re in the wrong place.
Your perspective and gratitude is what makes everything so fulfilling. Be honest with yourself and fully understand where you’ve come, and where you want to go! Be grateful for your abilities, resources, and accomplishments. Humility is a very special quality.
April 13, 2017 2:26 pm
It should come as no surprise that participation in other activities helps to provide well-rounded athleticism, a mental break from their primary sport, as well as a social communication dimension when working with new teammates.
Few, if any sports will hurt your hockey skills; however here are a few sports we think have some awesome qualities that translate to improving your hockey skills!
- Great hand eye coordination work, coupled with a great blend of cardio, physical, and hockey like movements. Also, similar positioning and overall team strategies.
- Tremendous cardio workout improving stamina and endurance. Foot skills in soccer will greatly help ankle strength in stride development as well as edge control.
- Involving incredible mental focus and concentration. No different than bouncing back from a bad shift, the same applies to a bad stroke in golf. Mental resiliency 101. Plus, the mechanics of a sound swing in golf are very similar to that in a great snap and slap shot!
No matter what, be sure your athletes are out and active enjoying the beautiful weather, getting sweaty and working hard!
TWO MONTHS & COUNTING until we’re rolling this summer! We can’t wait to see everyone soon!