Tag Archive: pro tips
June 1, 2017 3:01 pm
As everyone prepares for an awesome off-season ahead we wanted to leave you with a few of the most impactful quotes we’ve learned first hand along our journey in the sport.
“Success will always come from the details and the willingness to do them.”
~Brent Thompson, New York Islanders Asst. Coach
“You’re either passing someone, or you’re getting passed. Everyday.”
~Jeff Blashill, Detroit Red Wings Head Coach
“Without a plan, a goal is just a wish!”
We’re looking forward to an AMAZING off-season this summer!
May 18, 2017 2:02 am
OHP Pro Tip // Refuse to be outworked!
A very common question we field is “what does it take to make it?” That answer is simple; REFUSE TO BE OUTWORKED! From a Mite playing cross-ice games on Sundays to any superstar we idolize in the National Hockey League; we always admire and identify those athlete’s who’s work ethic jumps off the page!
Effort level/work ethic is the hardest skill to learn. However, effort level & work ethic is so unique in the fact that its purely comes down to mental strength, focus, and one’s internal drive! The quicker we can teach our athletes to dominate this skill the better off they’ll be; inside the glass and in their lives after hockey!
“Always be the hardest worker in the room!”
April 27, 2017 3:02 pm
Very much open to interpretation here, however, after nearly 30 years of being involved in the sport in every capacity; I’m a firm believer that reflection on these areas has brought some of the greatest joys!
Living in the moment
Ride the highs and never let the lows bring you down! Celebrate the positive, filter the negative, and grow from the mistakes. Treat every ice time like its game 7!
Embracing the process
The “process” is an ever-evolving journey of your development as an athlete setting out to accomplish goals, just as much as it is your personal growth as a young man/woman living to your highest possible standards of character and integrity. If you ever think you’ve arrived, you’re in the wrong place.
Your perspective and gratitude is what makes everything so fulfilling. Be honest with yourself and fully understand where you’ve come, and where you want to go! Be grateful for your abilities, resources, and accomplishments. Humility is a very special quality.
April 13, 2017 2:26 pm
It should come as no surprise that participation in other activities helps to provide well-rounded athleticism, a mental break from their primary sport, as well as a social communication dimension when working with new teammates.
Few, if any sports will hurt your hockey skills; however here are a few sports we think have some awesome qualities that translate to improving your hockey skills!
- Great hand eye coordination work, coupled with a great blend of cardio, physical, and hockey like movements. Also, similar positioning and overall team strategies.
- Tremendous cardio workout improving stamina and endurance. Foot skills in soccer will greatly help ankle strength in stride development as well as edge control.
- Involving incredible mental focus and concentration. No different than bouncing back from a bad shift, the same applies to a bad stroke in golf. Mental resiliency 101. Plus, the mechanics of a sound swing in golf are very similar to that in a great snap and slap shot!
No matter what, be sure your athletes are out and active enjoying the beautiful weather, getting sweaty and working hard!
TWO MONTHS & COUNTING until we’re rolling this summer! We can’t wait to see everyone soon!
April 12, 2017 2:52 pm
Did you know every OHP program offers personalized goaltending instruction?! Rest assured you’ll get the technical coaching and support in any OHP program you we’re to select. If you we’re thinking something more goalie ONLY-specific, be sure to check out our weeklong Goalie Camp the week of August 7-11, or our 1 Day Goalie Clinics in June and July; all at the Barons Arena!
Looking for some extra advice? Check out what our friends at ProStockHockey.com have to say about goaltending with their Goalie E-Book, available for free HERE.
Keep that glove up this off-season!
April 5, 2017 12:58 pm
What type of program are you looking for this offseason? With our diverse program options, we’re certain we’ve got the program for YOU!
- Need a weeklong, comprehensive full (or half) day environment? Check out our Training Camps! We’ll be in a rink near you this summer!
- Looking for a consistent, practice like environment featuring on and off-ice sessions each week? Our 8-week long Development Programs are just the fit!
- Midget & Varsity level players be sure to check out the Futures Hockey League. Cleveland’s premier 02’-98’ birth year players can be found here this summer!
- Goalies, we’ve got you covered! Every single program offers individualized, personal goalie coaching. You can’t go wrong! If you we’re thinking something more goalie specific, be sure to check out our weeklong Goalie Camp and 1 Day Goalie Clinics!
We look forward to having a HUGE off-season with you this summer!
March 30, 2017 3:00 am
An incredibly under-rated part of the year! Your approach to the off-season is key for your athlete’s development. Long-term strides of improvement and achieving your goals are ultimately made during the off-season! Here are a few key points of emphasis to work through as you move into your off-season:
- Establish a break
- No different than intermissions in the game. We need breaks! The worst thing you can do is let one season blend into the next. This is exactly how burnout happens. The mental break alone is HUGE. More times than not you’ll see your athlete return to the game refreshed and hungrier than ever!
- Develop your game plan
- Extremely important!!! Devise a plan of attack in exactly how you’re going to help your athlete make the necessary gains during the off time. Raw skill development & improvement, off-ice performance training, NUTRITION habits, balancing other commitments. Many of these topics should be discussed and a plan needs be established.
- Commit to the “process”
- Once you’ve built your game plan, commit to whatever it takes to achieving your goals! If it was easy, everyone would be playing in the NHL. Stay Determined. Stay Hungry. Stay Humble. Never lose sight of the fun!
“Without a plan, your dreams and goals are just wishes.” Here’s to a rewarding off-season of work and accomplishments!!!
March 13, 2017 7:41 pm
As you’re navigating through the tryout process naturally you probably start to ask yourself; “What’s the right program for my child?” The perfect program or team is unique to each and every player. Try using some of these points as you work to find your perfect program/team.
Is this coach honest? Does he/she make a positive impact on the athletes they work with? From a developmental perspective, what is the skill development and coaching philosophy? What are the coach’s goals and wants? Will this coach believe in my child? Their support and advocacy towards your child is everything!
What is the culture and environment of this team/program? How has the feedback been from past players, families, and trusted sources? Will my athlete be challenged to improve their play at this level?
Will your child enjoy playing for this team? Remember; positive experiences and enjoyment is ultimately what will fuel your athlete to reach their greatest heights!
Best of luck to our entire OHP Family with their upcoming tryouts, showcases, and big decisions!
March 1, 2017 2:34 pm
Lets talk about the elephant in the room, “tryouts”. First and foremost, embrace the process, and do your best to think big picture. No single season will ever dictate the trajectory of your child’s career. If your child makes the team, Great Job! If they fall short, encourage the principal that they’re fortunate to be learning such a quality lesson at a young age! Moving out of disappointment, set your goals – develop a game plan – and lets get to work! “Things will always turn out best for those who make the best out of the way things turn out.”
After a career of living in the land of uncertainty at the National and American Hockey League levels where literally everyday is a tryout. I believe the following qualities must be exemplified to ensure a positive tryout.
- Compete Level
- Your child has to want it, and more importantly EARN it! With every opportunity they’re granted, their effort level has to be relentless.
- Ability Level & Versatility
- No question supreme skill ability jumps off the page. However, every player in the world has deficiencies; and no player is great at everything. Players that are good at a lot of skills only help their overall odds. Be a Swiss Army knife of versatility. Every coach needs one of those.
- Unbelievably under-rated and under-appreciated. Do you ever wonder why or how “so and so made it…?” Timing. Being at the right opportunity and playing well at the right time, and finding the right team that needed what you offered.
Good luck to everyone in your upcoming tryouts!
February 15, 2017 6:07 pm
Now we’re playing for keeps! First and foremost congrats to all our athletes and families that have earned the privilege to play for a championship. Playing for a championship opportunity is a great reward after a long off-season and in-season of hard work, commitment, and performance. For those who fell just a bit short this season; bottle up that feeling of disappointment and let that positively fuel your efforts and goals for next year! Setbacks only build bigger comebacks!
As we make our way through the next few weeks of “win or go home” hockey try not to lose sight of a few key principals:
- What got you in here?
- Selflessness. Positive attitude. Don’t change your game now. The post-season is a tremendous opportunity to exemplify your inner-leader and perform in the clutch!
- Enjoy the ride!
- Performing under pressure, navigating through highs and lows, working together for a team goal; all invaluable life skills.
- Win or Lose like a CHAMPION!
- Regardless of the outcome, a true champion is ALWAYS measured by their character and integrity.
Seize the day, enjoy the moment everyone!