The “Perfect” CoachFebruary 1, 2018 12:26 pm
Let us save you a lot of stress and time; no such person exists. The real question is “who’s the perfect coach for me?” This of course depends on the scenario, as each and every one of us demand a different, and unique set of needs. However, in your search, if you can feel confident with any (or all) of the following criteria, we know you’re moving towards a great match!
- Will this coach believe in my athlete?
- This belief in your athlete is of course earned. However, finding a coach that truly invests in your child is an amazing trait to seek out. Aside from their confidence in your child’s ability, finding a coach that allows his/her players the freedom to fail is hugely important for their individual growth and long-term development.
- Does this coach have a good sense on skill development?
- Simply put, does he/she understand how to improve your child’s skills and abilities?
- What is their mission for the season?
- Winning is almost irrelevant. Sure, the success is great, but what is really being taught to your child… Attitude, work ethic, accountability, team play, should be at the top of the list!
For our elder players looking to make the jump beyond Midget/Varsity/Prep, another important factor should be:
- Is my coach well connected?
- Of course, their connections are meaningless if your performance and intangibles don’t warrant your advancement. However, having a well-connected coach, or at least one that you trust is willing to go the extra mile to advance your career is a great trait to find!
Tags: Cleveland hockey, coachability, hockey, news, Ohio hockey project, ohp, pro tips, Russ Sinkewich, the project
This post was written by Russ Sinkewich